Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Just a simple sinner

Okay - so I was talking to a friend tonight about God's grace and I told him I'd post this here. I have posted it a couple times on another blog I have and some of you may have seen it on Steph's blog as well...

I posted this a while back, but I was reminded of it again so I figured I'd re-post. I get a lot of undeserved praise for the life that I live, but what everyone fails to realize is that they only see what I want them to see. They don't see my faults, my failures, my sins. They don't see me when I fall. I don't advertise my shortcomings, I just try to pick myself up again, dust off, bandage the wounds and keep walking, hoping no one was around to witness the fall. So many times, I stray from the straight and narrow path and get lost in the darkness and find that I'm living more for myself than for the God that I love. For those who do see some of my failures, I apologize for not being a better example and a stronger person. Forgive me for the times I have caused you to stumble or fall. And thank you for loving me in spite of my inadequacies.

When I say "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost, now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say "I am a Christian" I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say "I am a Christian" I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say "I am a Christian" I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say "I am a Christian" I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say "I am a Christian" I still feel the sting of pain,
I have my share of heartaches so I call upon His name.

When I say "I am a Christian" I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow.

~Maya Angelou~

No comments:

Post a Comment