Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I usually don't make New Years Resolutions because I don't like to set myself up for disappointment or failure. Lame, right? But I know myself well enough to know what is important to me and what things I tend to put on the back burner. I wish certain things were more important to me, but I slack on them.

Last year, however, I borrowed a friend's NYR. I resolved to do something I had never done before EVERY MONTH. And I'm happy to announce that I succeeded. Some months it was a challenge and other months, I was able to get in 3 or 4 new experiences. There were no rules; it simply had to be something that I, personally, had never done - big or small. Over the course of 2007, I brought in New Years in Times Square NYC, hitchhiked, got a tattoo, went to Sturgis Biker Rally, visited a clothing-optional beach, learned to play poker, skinny dipped (or in my case, chunky dunked), earned beads, donated blood, sponsored a child, bet on horse races, joined a running club, water skied and tubed, went to/participated in a live auction, rode a motorcycle and got my endorsement, bought a car by myself, went to San Francisco and saw the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz, went to Tijuana and so much more. The only other resolution that I can remember keeping was the resolution to travel out of my city at least once a month and that has been 3 years running. Hopefully I can continue the monthly new experiences as well.

I am on a quest to live life to the fullest and sometimes the mundane, day to day crap gets in the way. I get tired and bored and stagnant. But when I am challenging myself to step out of my comfort zone, to experience new things and to NOT allow fear to stop me - THAT is when I feel most alive.

This year I would like to work on bettering myself physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and spiritually. If I can end 2008 feeling more healthy in every one of those areas, I'd be happy. I'd also like to see a stamp on my new passport before the year is through. But more than all of that, I simply want to have a grateful heart and positive attitude. I have spent too many years being cynical and suspicious and making my walls impenetrable. I think it's time to open myself up and that is the scariest challenge of all. So there you have it. I'm always up for suggestions and accountability to help me succeed in these areas so bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment