Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Risks

Ken and I floated the river on Sunday and invited a girlfriend and her kids to join us. At the end of the float, near where we park, there is a bridge that has a rope swing tied onto it. The line for the rope swing was very long and I noticed people were jumping off the bridge so I climbed up to have a look. It looked deep and I watched several people jump without incident. So, I jumped. Well, I landed a bit wrong - almost in a sitting position with one leg bent so I have a big, dark, beautiful bruise running up the side/back of my leg from my knee to my butt. And I bruised my tailbone too, so it's been a rough couple of days so far. I can't sit for very long and since I have a desk job, I can't really avoid sitting.



I'm getting a lot of crap for my injury so far. I've been told I'm immature, stupid and crazy to even think about jumping off a bridge. I had one woman tell her son about my injury to disuade him from ever trying such a stunt. Then she was upset when he told her that was on his "bucket list." I want to know where everyone's sense of adventure went? No, I'm not a teenager anymore. I'm not a kid. I'm a grown woman who, in their minds, should "know better." Ha! Well the thing is, I really am afraid of heights and afraid of drowning. I also love an adrenaline rush and have a strong belief that we must look our fears in the face - and hopefully have a good time doing it. Yeah, I hurt myself this time. But if I hadn't, it would have been awesome! In fact, it was great anyway. I didn't feel the pain until about half hour later. And I had a blast. If I had it to do over again, knowing the outcome, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I refuse to let fear control my life. I refuse to let it take the joy of adventure away. I refuse to sit on the sidelines of life and envy those who are out there living, playing and having a great time. Risks are meant to be taken. Adventures are meant to be had. Life is meant to be LIVED!

Sometimes I digress. I allow fear to creep in and hold me back - in love, in relationships, in my career, in every aspect of life. But I hate that girl. I've been the scared girl my whole life and I like the adventurous me a whole heck of a lot more. I feel like I've lost her, especially lately, but I think she's had enough of being stifled. Time to start taking more risks, go confidently in the direction of my dreams and live the life I've imagined.

1 comment:

  1. i was there and i love the fact that you jumped!! i knew you would, fear is a crazy thing to feel it is not always in the form of a roller coaster or jumping off a bridge, if it was it would be easy to deal with aas for those things only last a min. not a life time!

    ReplyDelete