Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pride in Accomplishments

I woke up this morning with a question on my mind. That is unusual for me. The past week or two I've had a song stuck in my head when I first wake up, but normally by first thoughts in the morning are remnants of dreams or thoughts of the coming day. As soon as I woke up this morning though, I heard, "What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?"

I was slightly annoyed at not being able to immediately answer the question and put it out of my mind. During my shower and get-ready ritual, that annoyance escalated to frustration. I posed the question on Facebook and immediately got a number of responses from mothers listing their children or motherhood as the accomplishment they are most proud of. While motherhood is an amazing thing, it is not what I was looking for. Almost anyone can become a parent. Much fewer should be allowed to raise children, but those who do it well and lovingly are certainly to be commended. Other answers included surviving cancer, buying a home, getting and keeping a good job which allowed them to provide good lives for their children, finishing school, passing exams, following Christ, etc. All accomplishments to be proud of indeed! A few of them turned the question back to me. I finally settled on the most obvious answer for the time. I chose the 50-state trip that I took right after my divorce, stating that I gained courage, confidence and faith and completely transformed myself during that journey of healing. I am a very different person because of that experience. I further responded that I'm not happy with that answer and am still pondering the question.

Later that morning, my boyfriend sent me an email in response to that facebook post. He brought up a couple of good points. He indicated that he felt I should be proud of the 50-state trip and I am. It did take dedication and perseverance. Many days I doubted the wisdom of the trip and I often felt like giving up, but my desire to achieve my goal kept me going even though it wasn't the wisest choice I've made from a financial or career standpoint. I'm glad I did it. The other point he made was the influence we have on others or the input we've had on their lives. He said, "Maybe our greatest accomplishments are not ones we are even aware of."

We all come into contact with many people on a daily basis. Some of those people are impacted by our words, our actions and even our non-verbal communications (body language, facial expressions, etc.). It doesn't matter if you are a politician, a pastor, a teacher, a supervisor, a parent, a doctor, a mechanic or a transient. YOU have an impact on someone else. Is that impact something to be proud of?

While, he is right, I'm still feeling unsettled about the question and my inability to feel comfortable with an answer...

4 comments:

  1. I just stumbled on your blog today and found the few posts I read an interesting read. You put a lot of thought in to what you write and it is well written. I am a follower of Sally Land but she does not write much these days but someone that posted a comment on Sally Land also followed your blog that is how I came across your blog. How are you doing after your surgery? How is it to be back at work? Do you feel different about your self now?
    Happy New Year!
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mia. I'm doing great since the surgery. I don't really feel differently about myself, but I do feel different. I just went for my first run since the surgery and noticed a big difference. It takes a few months for things to settle into what they will be so I'm looking forward to being fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why have you stopped blogging? This seems to be common among bloggers. Thy write for a while and then just stop. Is the blogging itself filling a void and when that void is filled the blogger stops? or is the blogger running out of thing to pounder out load about?
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have internet access at home and I'm not willing to pay for it at this point so I only blog when I have time to go sit at a coffee shop or somewhere with wi-fi. I have another blog that I update more often, but it's a friends-only blog with more personal entries. I have been thinking I need to post something on here soon though. Perhaps this week...

    ReplyDelete