Friday, February 17, 2006

"Love means to love that which is unlovable, or it is no virtue at all;
Forgiving means to pardon that which is unpardonable, or it is no virtue at all –
And to Hope means hoping when things are hopeless, or it is no virtue at all."
~G.K. Chesterton


My thoughts:

The first thing is to identify who is considered "unlovable." Is it the murderer rotting away in prison? The person who molested you or your little sister or daughter? The unfaithful spouse? The drunks and druggies sitting homeless on the street? A family member that hurt you? The manipulative, negative coworker sitting in the cubicle next to you? It's easy to say, "Oh, I love everyone, there is no one that I hate." Where is the proof? When I see a homeless man on the street, holding up his cardboard sign begging for money, or passed out drunk in his own urine on the sidewalk, it is easy to turn up my nose and judge him. I often catch myself thinking, "Why doesn't he get off his ass and get a job? McDonald's is always hiring." And maybe I'm right, maybe that person should do something, but I am not responsible for his actions. I am responsible for my own. How can I show him love? Love is not earned. It is a GIFT. When we love someone, we expect absolutely NOTHING in return. That being said, it is easy to love those who love us and are kind to us. Even the most evil people do that.

This reminds me of the scripture where the Lord is praising the righteous for seeing him hungry and feeding him, etc. "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' " Matthew 25:37-40

If you've done something to the least of these… you've done it to Christ. What a powerful concept. I need to remember that every moment of every day, in every dealings I have with people.

Forgiving: What is unpardonable? Infidelity? Molestation? Rape? Abuse? Murder? Is one sin greater than another? Are we not called to forgive 70 times 7? If all sins are equal and we are sinning in our unforgiveness, are we not just as bad as the person we refuse to forgive? In forgiving others, we find freedom. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:2

I need to remember to take the plank out of my own eye - to deal with the sins in my own life before judging someone else for their choices.

Hope: When do things seem hopeless? Usually, when you are right in the middle of it. Given enough time, we are able to look back at a seemingly hopeless situation and see in hindsight that there was hope all along. Is your loved one dying of a terminal illness where there is no hope of recovery? Don't lose hope. Miracles still occur. When we hope for something and are disappointed, it seems to make us lose hope more easily in other situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment