Friday, January 23, 2009

Laid Off

I was laid off from my job as Executive Assistant with SRM Development on Friday, January 16th. I don't know what it is about that day (was my wedding anniversary and also the day my ex husband moved out), but I'm tempted to make a note on my calendar for future years to stay in bed that day.

I really thought I was safe through at least one more round of lay offs. After the November layoffs, the company tried to reassure everyone and ensured that no more layoffs were expected. I didn't believe that, but really thought they would do it by seniority. At least seniority by department, but seeing as how there is a young man still employed in my department with only about a year of service under his belt, and I, with 4 years was let go... well, it just confirms my 4-year suspicion that the company is still a "good ol' boys club" and unless you've got an extra appendage between your legs, you're screwed. :) Honestly, I am not just being bitter - that really is how it is around there. When I asked about their reasoning for letting me go instead of Jeff, my boss looked completely perplexed and said that Jeff's name never even came up, but that I brought up a good point because he made about what I make (a little more, actually) and he's no more qualified than I am and he's not doing anything that I'm not capable of taking over... but in the end, the decision had already been made. Boss man even acknowledged that he knew it wasn't a satisfactory answer, but that was the final answer.

Jim, my boss, really is a good guy. I know it was hard for him to lay me off because I think he really does care about what happens to me. It's also going to suck for him because I did EVERYTHING for the man. He negotiated double my severance pay so I'm grateful for that, but he's contacted me a couple times already earlier this week because he didn't know where something was or how to do something. I went in and worked half the day for free on Wednesday and will be going back in sometime early next month to train someone on a couple of my duties... I know that is above and beyond and I get a lot of crap from my friends for working for free, but he did double my severance and he has done me a lot of favors over the years. This is one bridge I don't want to burn... in fact, I need to strengthen it because I may very well need that network sooner or later.

The job market here in Spokane is not great. There are a lot of job openings for entry or very low level administrative/customer service positions, but no Human Resources or Executive Assistant jobs. I know I may have to take a cut in pay, but I'm just not ready to accept a $5 or $6/hour cut quite yet. In the mean time, I'll be making a little more than half my salary in unemployment...

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and keep the faith that God has a plan and He will guide me to where I need to be. Trying to keep my eyes and ears open (both physically and spiritually speaking) for opportunities. I'm open to moving, but it would have to be the right job... because I'd be leaving behind a wonderful group of friends and a man that I'm growing more fond of with each moment I spend with him. Wondering if it's time to start distancing myself so it doesn't hurt so much if/when I have to move...

No comments:

Post a Comment