Thursday, October 11, 2007

Rude Awakening

Can I just say that waking up at 4:18 am is never pleasant, not to mention the cause was the sound of my 100 year old vintage doorbell/buzzer thing. I stumble out of bed, all discombobulated, having no idea what to expect on the other side of the door so I just open it a crack and before I see anyone, I hear "Spokane Police Department, ma'am." Immediately every possible horrific scenario starts running through my head, but the sound of my sisters voice behind me calms me down a little bit. At least I know she's safe... but what the...?

SPD: "Do you own a silver Camry?"
Me: "Yes."
SPD: "It's been hit."
Me: (suddenly realizing I'm not wearing a bra under my t-shirt and crossing my hands over my chest) "Hit? As in, by a car? Or someone broke into it again?"
SPD: (Chuckling) "As in, by a car. Bad. It's undrivable."
Me: (Suddenly very self conscious about my bed head, mis-matched PJs, morning breath, no bra, eye-boogers and smeared makeup) "Hit and run or do you know who hit it?"
SPD: "We found the car near the MAC, but no driver. He also hit a tree."
Me: (genuinely concerned) "Oh my God, I hope he's okay."
SPD: (Laughing) "Um, yeah... well, the guy should have just stopped when he hit you, before he hit the tree and whatever else he may have hit along the way."

Then he goes into how normally they just leave the accident report on the car, but since he figured it was probably how I intended to get to work today, I might want to have some forewarning so I could leave early or make other arrangements. He hands me the accident report, apologizes for the rude awakening and leaves.

I, being the curious cat that I am, decide that I can't wait until "morning" to see the damage so I grab my coat and shoes and head downstairs to check it out with my sister at my heels. The cop is still out there so I asked how they found out. Apparently someone called in a collision near Cedar Ave so they came to check it out, saw my car, then a tree on the other side of the road that had been hit as well. Then they got another call about a car in a parking lot a few blocks away near the Museum of Arts & Culture that looked pretty banged up, but no driver to be found. They checked it out and determined it was definitely the car that hit me, airbags had been deployed and they think the driver has a head injury. It was registered to someone named Kelly.

I called the insurance company, filed a claim and took pictures. So, the guy didn't just side-swipe me. He hit the left rear of the car so hard that he pushed the back end of my car onto the curb. Check out how far from the line the back of the car is. Crazy.



I sure hope this isn't indicative of how the rest of my day is going to go. I really hope the guy has insurance and if he doesn't, I really hope I don't run into problems with my insurance company. And... I hope Kelly is okay. I googled him and found his myspace. It appears that he was planning to be out at The Boulevard (night club) tonight. Drunk, I assume. Ha! Gotta love myspace!

Well, I have to say, I am actually really glad the cop woke me up because it would suck to head out to my car with maybe 5 minutes to get to work, only to find that I can't drive it. I better hop in the shower, get ready and start walking. Peace, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment