Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Friendship

Often misattributed to George Eliot, the following quote by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik in her book A Life for a Life (1859) is a favorite of mine and has been stuck in my head for a couple days.

"But oh! the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject, with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort -- the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person -- having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping and then with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away."

I pray that someday, I become the type of friend, trusted and capable of doing just that. And though I know I have been blessed with people in my life that love me deeply, I hope someday that I will experience that comfort of "having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words" with someone - and truly allow them to know all of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment