Sunday, October 26, 2008

Autumn

After spending Friday evening chilling out at home with my couch-surfer, talking and swapping travel stories, we called it a night around midnight. I slept surprisingly well, seeing as how there was a strange guy in the next room - but he was very nice, easy going and I felt at ease around him.

Saturday was a wonderful day! We decided to go to breakfast, but two of my favorite breakfast spots were so busy there were lines out the door. So we hit Frank's Diner on the North Side for an amazing, huge breakfast. Adam had never had huckleberries or apple butter so he tried both. Then we went to Greenbluff as they have their Apple & Harvest Festivals going on this month. At the Harvest House, I introduced him to pumpkin donuts and caramel apples (he'd never had either) and we each had hot apple cider and sat on hay bales listening to a really bad cover band, but had fun making fun of them and people watching. He took lots of pictures of the pumpkins, the children's hay maze and the fall colors. He was like a kid in a candy store, wide-eyed and excited about all of it. Then we went to Simpson's where we wondered through acres of apple orchards and picked apples from the few trees that hadn't already been picked clean. Since no trip to Greenbluff is complete without a wine tasting, we tasted a couple wines at Harvest House (I love their Christmas Cheer wine mixed with mulled cider - soooo good!) and then I took him to Townshend Cellars for more. I love it when I recommend something and someone really enjoys it. Seemed he liked most of my favorite Townshend wines. Yay!

We decided to skip my friend's Halloween Party and come home for an afternoon siesta before heading out to Hauser, Idaho to do the Haunted Corn Maze. Unfortunately, when we got out there, the line for the Haunted Maze was 2 hours long. So we did the other 3 non-haunted mazes instead. Still, it's pretty spooky being lost in a maze of corn stalks 10+ feet high, especially since the later it got, the less people we'd run into. We actually completed all three, found all the markers we were supposed to find and left around 11 PM tired and cold, but happy.

It was the perfect autumn day. The weather was beautiful - blue skies, fairly warm weather during the day, but a chilly evening. Pumpkins. Apples. Cider. Wine. Hay bales. Corn mazes - not to mention the incredible fall colors. All the orange, yellow & red leaves on the trees and covering the ground... I love this season.

Adam left this morning and thanked me for everything. He had a lot of firsts during his visit. He smiled a lot so I think he really did have a good time. Funny though - we are so different in so many ways - we covered all the taboo topics - sex, religion and politics and we disagree on most controversial issues - but we got along famously and had a wonderful weekend. I love being able to have open conversations with people who respect your stance, even when they disagree. Lately with all the political stuff going on, that is rare.

In other news... Yesterday at Townshend Cellars in Greenbluff, I noticed a guy noticing me... and he was very attractive. Every time I glanced his way, he was looking at me and he'd smile when he caught my eye. It was strange - for a moment, I could see no one else in the room - just him. As our eyes locked, everyone else seemed to disappear. Then I snapped out of it and noticed he was there with a girl and another couple and that he was wearing a wedding band. Damn! Later in the day, it was brought to my attention that an ad was posted on Craigslist's Missed Connections... the ad described me perfectly - what I was wearing and who I was with. He figured it was a long shot but asked if I would respond with where I was sitting when he walked in and what he was wearing. I did respond, told him I was with a friend, where I was sitting and told him that he was wearing a wedding ring standing by a blond girl. He responded saying that he was shocked that I even saw the ad and responded and confirmed that it was in fact a wedding ring but that he just wanted me to know that he thought I was beautiful and that there was something in my eyes that attracted him to me and he had a hard time looking away.

As flattered as I am, I'm disappointed that I'm still attracting the usual suspects... the unavailable. I'm curious to know if it's me - am I putting out vibes that attract people who are married, who live out of state or who are single but emotionally unavailable (hurt, bitter, healing). I just don't understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment