Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mom's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful moms! You certainly don't get the credit you deserve. I'm sitting here, in the sun in the backyard of the house I'm house-sitting, drinking a strawberry margarita and missing my own mother.

My mom is an incredible woman who has gone through more in her short (almost) 50 years than anyone else I know. She has given birth to 11 children, including one set of twins, that range in age from 4 years old to 32, and she has lost 3. She is a grandmother to 5 children, one step-grandchild, one on the way and one in Heaven. She's been a mother since she was 17 years old. She has been married, divorced, survived some abusive relationships and remarried. She has taught me so much about life, love, forgiveness and grace. She's made some horrible choices and paid dearly for those. She's taught me a lot in life - about what to do and what NOT to do. But the thing about my mom that impresses me the most; the most valuable lesson that she has taught, both in word and action, is that when you fall down, when you fail, when you disappoint yourself, God and all those around you - you GET BACK UP!!! Period! You don't give up, you don't stop trying to be a better person. You don't walk away from your faith with your head hung down in shame. You don't let the opinions, the gossip, the cruelty of others or your own guilt and shame keep you down. You get your eyes back on the path, refocus, repent and you get back up and keep on walking... EVERY TIME!!! It doesn't matter if you make the fail a hundred times - you don't give up. There is grace! There is forgiveness. There is mercy....

Although I don't always agree with my mom and she has the ability to frustrate me more than any other person I know, I love her more than any other person on the planet. I could write a book about her, but most of it would be unbelievable. Just suffice it to say, I love her. I miss her. She is the most amazing woman I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment