Monday, July 28, 2008

Magnetic

What is it about a person that draws others to them? Where does the magnetization come from? I've been told, both that I am approachable and that I am intimidating. So, which is it? Is it really something about a person, or is it something deeper – something spiritual?

Last night as I was standing alone on a foot bridge over the Spokane River, watching the orchestra play on the floating dock and waiting for the fireworks show to start, a man approached me. He and a friend had been standing a few feet away and I could tell by the corner of my eye that he was watching me. Finally, he walked up to me and asked if I knew what time the show was supposed to start. I answered him; he introduced himself and started up a conversation. He told me my eyes looked very sad and asked if I had a rough day. I was not in a good place emotionally and frankly, I didn't want to be bothered. My body language was unmistakably indicative of that fact. My answers were polite, but short, one or two word answers as I kept my eyes on the orchestra up the river. Finally, he asked if I'd like to go do something sometime. I simply said no.

At that point, I expected him to walk away, but he kept talking. Turns out he is a Christian and after a long life of doing his own thing, messing up his life and losing the things that mattered most, he finally decided to turn his life around. He was going to church, preparing for a missions trip to Africa and happened to know someone at my church. That was shocking since I've never met anyone who has ever even heard of the small church that I've been attending. Still, I did not want to talk to this man. I was so deep inside myself, drowning in my own emotions and self pity. I remember thinking that this is not the way that I am supposed to be. I'm supposed to be a light in this dark world, a beacon of hope, an encouragement. Yet, I couldn't muster even a simple smile.




He asked again if I'd like to go out sometime, again I responded with a simple no, thank you. Then he tried persistently, to give me his number, saying that you never know when you'll find yourself in need of a friend, but I would not take it. I bluntly told him I'd never use it and I wouldn't change my mind. I told him not to take it personally and I was polite, but wanted to get the point across. He kept trying. Finally, the fireworks show ended and I shook his hand, told him it was nice to meet him and walked home.

What are the chances, of the thousands of people watching fireworks in the park that night that I would meet someone who is a Christian, who actually knows people I know and the church I attend and who shares some of what is in my heart as far as a love for people and heart for missions and worship? His story, his life... even the annoying persistence… he'll never know that he at least planted a seed of encouragement that I so desperately needed that night.

Isn't it interesting how God can use a complete stranger? I'm ashamed of my own inability to even fake a smile or offer a kind word back to this gentleman. Am I really that dried up, that drained and empty? Yet, he wasn't discouraged. Wherever you are, Shawn, thank you for reaching out.

No comments:

Post a Comment