Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lead Me

I heard a song on the radio the other day and the lyrics really affected me. It got me thinking on a train of thought that led to this.

As a woman and as a Christian with what some call "old fashioned" values, I want the man I marry to be a leader. I believe God has called men to be the spiritual leader of their family - to lead by example, in faith and in love. If I ever get married again, it is very important to me to have a man who will take my hand join me in my journey toward Christ. I want someone who will be strong when I am not; who will pray with me and seek God with me and who will encourage me in my walk with God. And if I do have children some day (heaven forbid), I want a man who will be a Godly father and lead his kids in the way of the ONE true God.

In the absence of a man's desire to follow Christ or step up to his role of the spiritual leader of a family, the woman often tries to take on that responsibility. I have been there myself! I don't believe that is what God intended. Yes, each one is responsible for his or her own actions and their own relationship with God, but it is truly the man's role to be the leader.

I do feel that I am a pretty strong woman. Regardless of the choices of whoever is in my life, I know that I am accountable to God for my actions and I try to hold myself to a particular standard. I'm FAR from perfect, but I do love God and I do have a personal realationship with Him. Like any relationship, sometimes I get lazy, take Him for granted and stray from the path, but I always return to him. It's lonely to feel like I'm on this journey alone sometimes, but I hope I never allow the lack of spiritual leadership in my life to be an excuse to stop following Christ on my own.


I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling
But on the inside I can hear her saying...

"Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone"
(Lyrics from Lead Me by Sanctus Real)

1 comment:

  1. I need to work on my relationship with God and slowly moving forward with my faith, but I do agree about the man of the family being the leader, spiritually as well as in other aspects. Working together is good, and I'd love to work together, however with no one leading there's a tendency to walk around in circles!

    ReplyDelete